Full Time: All shifts
RehabLiving at the Meadows
Summary: The primary purpose of your job position is to plan, organize, develop, coordinate, and direct our infection control program and its activities in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations that govern such programs, and as may be directed by the Administrator and the Infection Control Committee to ensure that an effective infection control program is maintained at all times.
As Infection Control Nurse you are delegated the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary for carrying out your assigned duties. Your immediate supervisor is the Director of Nursing Services.
Licensed RN for the state of Texas or a compact state.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate, coordinate, and direct our infection control program in accordance with current rules, regulations, and guidelines that govern such requirements in nursing care facilities.
2. Ensure that the facility is in compliance with current CDC, OSHA, and local regulations concerning infection control or standard/universal precautions.
3. Develop, maintain, and periodically update infection control precautions and aseptic technique that successfully correct problem areas.
4. Interpret infection control policies and procedures as necessary.
5. Maintain a reference library of written infection control material that will assist the facility in meeting the day-to-day needs of the isolated resident.
6. Make written and oral reports/recommendations to the Administrator, as necessary/required, concerning the infection control program of this facility.
7. Assist all departments in evaluating and classifying routine and job-related functions to ensure that tasks involving exposure to blood/body fluids are properly identified.
8. Monitor infection control practices and procedures to ensure that all personnel are implementing our standard operating procedures for tasks involving exposure to blood/body fluids.
9. Make rounds to nursing units for the purpose of case findings, review of environmental sanitation procedures, and supervision of isolation precautions/practices.
10. Visit isolated residents as necessary to ensure that established isolation precautions and aseptic technique are followed.
11. Ensure that laboratory support is available, including microbiological and serological services.
12. Review and analyze infectious disease laboratory reports and consult with the Director of Nursing Services in developing the care plan for assuring that aseptic techniques are implemented.
13. Assist in developing and implementing guidelines for the decontamination and sterilization activities performed in the facility.
14. Perform periodic testing of our prepared sterile packs, bundles, and supplies, including sterilization equipment.
15. Monitor the designated shelf life of medical items wrapped and sterilized at the facility. Reprocess as necessary.
16. Ensure that all personnel follow established procedures for the disposal and removal of infective and contaminated materials from the facility.
17. Prepare monthly summaries of all resident/personnel infections, corrective action taken, and the results of the corrective action. Submit copies to the Administrator and Director of Nursing Services.
18. Prepare summaries of special investigations on the occurrence of nosocomial and community-acquired infections.
19. Provide the Director of Nursing Services with a report of pertinent findings and recommendations pertaining to nosocomial infection.
20. Maintain a written record of all residents and employees who have nosocomial infections.
21. Participate in surveys of possible carriers among residents and personnel, and in tracing possible sources of infection within the facility.
22. Assist the Director of Laundry Services in developing infection control procedures for the handling of clean and soiled laundry/linen, equipment cleaning, etc.
23. Assist the Director of Environmental Services in developing infection control procedures for the routine and terminal cleaning of isolation rooms and areas, equipment cleaning, etc.
24. Participate in facility surveys (inspections) made by authorized government agencies as necessary or as may be directed.
25. Assist the Discharge Planning Coordinator in developing and implementing discharge plans for the resident in isolation or on infection control precautions.