Full Time and Part Time and PRN: Day Shift
Coryell Health and Surgical Department
PACU – RN Full Time or PRN
Summary: Recovery room nurses, post-anesthesia care unit or PACU nurses care for patients who are recovering from anesthesia after surgery. They monitor post-operation vital signs, assess levels of consciousness, and carefully observe patients for any side effects from anesthesia.
We are seeking a dedicated PACU nurse to carefully monitor the condition of patients who are waking up from post-operative anesthesia. You will be monitoring levels of consciousness, measuring vital signs, and treating post-operative side effects of anesthesia medication such as pain or nausea.
To ensure success as a PACU nurse, you should possess experience in caring for post-anesthesia patients and the ability to function in a high-pressure environment. An accomplished PACU nurse will be someone whose expertise results in patients who feel reassured while safely recovering.
1. Monitoring post-operative patients’ levels of consciousness during recovery from anesthesia.
2. Measuring and recording patients’ vital signs.
3. Closely observing patients for signs of side effects of anesthesia medication.
4. Continual assessment of patient post cardiac cath procedure for complications.
5. Treating pain, nausea, and other post-operative symptoms of anesthesia.
6. Updating charts, patient files, and medical records.
7. Collaborating with the medical team on post-operative patient care and facilitating timely specialized interventions.
8. Providing comfort and reassurance to distressed post-operative patients and concerned family members.
9. Educating patients and their families on post-surgery care, as well as answering questions.
***Pay is based on experience. Coryell Health pays shift differentials and offer Incentives for float time.
1. An Associate’s or Bachelor of Science degree in nursing (BSN).
2. Registered Nurse (RN) certification for the state of Texas or other state Compact License.
3. Certified post-anesthesia nurse (CPAN) preferred.
4. At least two years’ of experience as a nurse in a post-anesthesia care unit, preferably with Cardiac Cath Lab recovery experience.
5. Proficiency in electronic hospital management systems.
6. Extensive experience in measuring and interpreting vital signs and levels of consciousness.
7. Advanced knowledge of best practices in patient care.
8. Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
9. Superb organizational and time management abilities.