Coryell Health’s history runs as deep as its legacy in the Gatesville community. Coryell has been serving local patients and their families since 1940, and continues to provide community members with elevated care in a local, welcoming setting. Learn more about our points of pride by exploring our timelines of historical events below.
Historical Timeline of Coryell Memorial
A petition for an election to decide if the county should build a hospital was circulated then handed to county commissioners. The vote passed 814 for, 461 against.
An open house was held for the new Coryell Memorial Hospital (CMH) at the corner of Lutterloh Avenue and Saunders Street.
A capital campaign began to make necessary improvements for CMH to meet state and federal regulations.
Coryell County commissioners voted unanimously in favor of creating the Coryell County Memorial Hospital Authority to take over CMH.
A Groundbreaking ceremony for the site of the new hospital was held at 1507 West Main Street.
The community celebrated the dedication of the new 40,400 square foot hospital.
CMH received a Certificate of Accreditation from the prestigious Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
Coryell Home Health Care services were initiated.
The Welcome Program assisted living began with three patient rooms. Also, CMH entered into a management pact with Scott & White.
Mills County Medical Clinic opened in Goldthwaite.
Mills County Home Health service began.
A massive expansion project began to include more rooms for the Welcome Program, expand the radiology department, and expand the medical records, data processing and business offices.Also, the Oaks at Coryell independent living apartments began construction.
The Welcome Program was awarded a grant of $750,000 from the Frank W. Mayborn Foundation and was consequently renamed the Eula P. White Welcome Program in honor of Mrs. Mayborn’s mother, Mrs. Eula P. White, who had been a resident in the program.
Expansion of The Oaks began to add 16 new apartments, a dining area, and other amenities.
Construction began on a new 90-bed skilled nursing facility named The Meadows. The state-of-the-art nursing home, which covers 45,000 square feet, included four wings, three nurses’ stations, a chapel, a residential dining room, family dining room, a beauty salon and activity room. Also, a new central dietary facility was constructed and named in honor of the late Mrs. Vaughan D. Freeman, who made a bequest of over $900,000 to the hospital, the largest in hospital history at the time.
The CMH board voted to adopt the name of Coryell Health to better represent the expanding continuum of care.
The emergency room was expanded to more than double its capacity and provide up-to-date equipment. It was renamed the Heavin Emergency Services with a history-making $1,000,000 donation given by Gary and Diane Heavin.
The Coryell Specialty Clinic opened inside CMHS to host independent specialists in a variety of disciplines, including but not limited to, Ob/Gyn, podiatry, and allergy/asthma.
The Mills County Medical Clinic moved to a beautiful, newly-renovated building at 1510 Hannah Valley Road in Goldthwaite. CMHS took over the Hillcrest Clinic of Gatesville and it became the Coryell Medical Clinic (CMC).
CMHS partnered with Nocturna Sleep Center of Waco to offer sleep studies at Coryell Memorial Hospital.
Coryell Medical Clinic moved into its brand new building connected to Coryell Memorial Hospital with space for six family practice providers, plus specialists.